Saturday, May 9, 2009

Actual Mexican Tacos

I have a Mexican restaurant I've gone to quite a few times. I like their tacos, but they're very small. I also like good values and I'm not sure these are.

I've been thinking about it and a couple nights ago I bought ingredients that resembled the ingredients on these guys' tacos. I wasn't going to make tacos the same way we've been making them for the last 30 years, which gets boring.

These tacos are the corn shells, some meat, some onion, some kind of lettuce that's not exactly the head of lettuce type. Very simple, but who knows what might be in their meat sauce? That's where the Colonel, to mention another restaurant, can hide some secret ingredients. And not having a laboratory or even a microscope, I'm not going to be able to discern precisely what's in it. And I'm not going to ask them.

Anyway, I put the ingredients together and they weren't bad. Still not exactly like theirs, which I might need to work on a little more. One thing, I made way too much meat and wanted to finish it off rather than letting it go to waste. So that was a bad move. The lettuce I bought was called "Butter Lettuce," which I've never bought before. I don't think it was precisely the same thing, but it was leafy like theirs. The onions were good. And I tried to pan fry briefly the corn shells, soft shells.

They were definitely good. And even though I had to pay more upfront for the ingredients, I still have quite a bit left over (30 corn shells were only $1.89), and can have them at least one more time, just going by how much hamburger and sauce mix I have left.