Friday, May 1, 2009

Dog Death Anniversary

I just got back from taking my dog -- my current dog -- to the park. She likes to go romp there and of course go to the bathroom repeatedly. I've had this dog for about 10 years.

Our last dog died, and going through some papers today I found a reference to it. I hadn't remembered when the death was precisely. But it turns out that it's tomorrow, May 2. And the year was 1996. So 13 years ago. It's been a while.

It was a very bad day for me 13 years ago. I had a major flat tire on the interstate and had to depend on the very generous kindness of strangers (really) to get everything taken care of. Something was wrong with my spare. I'd driven for years with a spare that didn't actually fit the car! But the strangers involved were very kind.

Then I got home, finally, and learned that this dog had died. And that I needed to bury him.