Thursday, October 29, 2009

80 Years Since Wall St. Crash

It's hard to believe it's only been 80 years since the Wall St. crash, the whole thing at the beginning of the Great Depression.

I'm not 80 years old, of course, but I go back a long time. And I used to hear my grandparents talking about the Depression and how terrible it all was. My grandpa wouldn't vote for a Republican no matter who he was, thanks to the Depression. I honor his memory for lots of things, but that's probably the biggest. He had the right idea. The Republicans are skunks. No offense to actual skunks.

But doesn't it seem like those days, the '20s are an infinity ago, plus one? To me it seems like it. 80 little years is all it's been. The ink's barely dry on the papers.

If you look at papers from 1929, it was a different world in many respects. They did the same things, of course, but we've come a long way since then.