Monday, October 5, 2009

Watching Doctor Zhivago

I'm watching Doctor Zhivago while doing my morning and evening exercises. I've probably seen over an hour of it so far. I believe it's a long movie because there's two tapes.

It seems like a great movie. Except it also is very depressing, and it looks like it's going to get more so. They've had the revolution and the Russians are a cheerless bunch.

This one guy -- the Doctor's brothers -- only speaks as narration in hindsight. He's in the scenes with his brother and he stands there like a post, not saying anything.

The rabble has taken over their house. They haven't got any freedom. The thought police are everywhere. Was that the way it was? It looks like they didn't get off to a good start in Russia! I guess I thought it took a while, but what do I know? (Nothing).

I'm up to the part there Zhivago and his wife and this one old guy who hangs out with them have clambered into a freight car on a train. That's depressing!

Will I make it all the way through this great ... yet bloody cheerless movie?