Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Doctor Zhivago Update


I must be about finished with Doctor Zhivago, watching it. I'm on the second tape and it seems like it's getting close to the end.

I also got the soundtrack record today at a thrift store. Honestly, I suppose I have the record already in the basement, but I was at the thrift store, there was a very nice copy for 50 cents, so I got it.

I've never heard the soundtrack record before today ... even though I've known I had it over the years. The front cover never appealed to me, but that was all before I ever saw the movie and really zeroed in on it. I would always glance at the picture of Geraldine Chaplin on the left side and it never appealed to me. Looks like a guy about to kiss a baby seal.

It's funny, I never really looked at the cover at all .... really looked at it. The thing is I'm never interested in soundtrack albums of movies I haven't seen. So I can look at them a million times in thrift stores and recognize them without ever really zeroing in on them. The same thing was true of the "Music Man" soundtracks -- Broadway and film. Now that I've seen the movie, I look at them carefully.

As to the movie, I like it OK. But I don't think anyone could trudge across that frozen tundra and not freeze to death, but hey, I got severely chilled tonight just taking my dog out. And it's not below freezing.