Sunday, October 18, 2009

Messing With The Kindle

There's a Kindle in the family, not mine. But I've had a little time to mess with it.

I downloaded a book today, nothing I especially wanted, but I searched and searched and found one I thought I could possibly enjoy. So it's OK.

As to reading on the Kindle, I'm definitely not used to it yet. But so far I'm not overly impressed. It might be a while before I get one for myself.

I like the idea of being able to get various places in a book with some speed and not having to dink around with menus, up and down, all that to get to a place.

As for the highlighting feature, it's not easy enough. I came to a few places in the book I wanted to highlight, which is possible to do. You push MENU, then scroll the five-way button down six or seven steps (that gets monotonous), go to the beginning of the place, click, then to the end of the passage, click. That's all there is to it. But then next time you want to highlight, you hit MENU and the thing is back at the top, meaning you have to scroll down six or seven steps each time! OMG! That's their system?

As far as I'm concerned, everything is tough to get to, tough to navigate, etc. The keypad isn't that great, etc., etc.

One definite thing it can do is get the book you bought fast!

By the way, if the passage you want to highlight is on this page and continued on the next page, that's the same process two times.