Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Masons

Here's an article -- this is from New Jersey -- on the Masons (Freemasons) hoping that Dan Brown's new book, "The Lost Symbol," will revive some interest in their organization.

I read the book and definitely think the Masons sound pretty cool, as far as their history goes and their various pursuits. I don't know a lot about them, except some members of my family have history (positive) with them.

I have a Masonic Bible, and it has some interesting bits. They're very interested in the temples and the various order of temple worship.

And of course I've heard various slams against the Masons over the years too. Which, who knows? It's probably a lot of hogwash on those people's part, since the Masons can do what they want. Get together, memorize a bunch of stuff, and share brotherhood bonding (there's a women's organization too, and a boy's, and a girl's.)

I say they sound cool ... but still, for me, it wouldn't be the thing to do.

The article says they started "demystifying" themselves in the '80s. That might be a mistake. I prefer things that are mystifying to things that are plainly ordinary.