Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fun In Acapulco

My current Elvis movie that I'm watching is "Fun In Acapulco."

I like the lightweight stuff that Elvis did. Not the dramas or anything where Elvis gets beat up. The other day it was "Clambake," now this one.

Of course "Acapulco" has a Mexican setting, and Elvis does several nice Mexican flavored songs. I love the theme song. I love most of the songs, I guess, including "There's No Room To Rhumba In A Sportscar," which I believe is thought to be one of the lowest of the low in Elvis' musical output. I still like it.

The one thing I don't like about the movie is the fact that Elvis wasn't ever actually in Acapulco. He shot all his parts in the United States. That doesn't seem right. So, the way I take that, any shot you see of "Elvis" in Acapulco, any medium or long shot, like with Elvis riding on the bike with the kid, that's not Elvis but some other guy.

Then we come in for a close-up of the actual Elvis, with a moving picture behind him, sitting on a stationery bike. I don't like that. It seems like a cheat. Like it's half Elvis, half some other guy. If you're going to do a movie about Acapulco, at least go there! Sheesh!

But, all that aside, it's a tuneful, pleasurable movie. We get to see plenty of Elvis -- and some other guy -- we get some cool songs, it's a lightweight, harmless time, and he comes out OK in the end. The one burr under the saddle in this movie is that Elvis is from a family of circus high fliers and they had a little problem with heights, someone got killed, so he's bad about jumping off mountains into the sea. But he works it all out and it has a happy ending.