Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Hallmark Store

I went to the Hallmark store yesterday to buy gifts for someone I know whose birthday was today.

I couldn't find anything that looked like a good gift. I did find a nice card. I don't mind buying cards like I used to. I've gotten to the point where I will accept their versification as an adequate substitute for my own feelings. By and large I think they do pretty good. I envision a panel of psychologists at the company with rooms full of focus groups, to make sure they're getting it right. But if that's what it takes, it seems to be working.

I found the card in pretty fast time, only having to look at about four different ones. But then, to walk around the store, and to see all the crap they sell, it was tough. And truthfully I'm a guy who has a sensitive side, so it's not like I haven't got the mental equipment to see something decent if it was there.

We were just in that store a week ago and she was telling me how many nice things she saw. But she didn't give me a clue which were the nice things. Then left to myself, none of it looked nice. I called her, but by now she was grumpy and said "Don't get my anything." I stayed and insisted on looking some more. I saw some nice wool mittens, so I messaged her about her size in mittens. She responded, "You're kidding, right?" I wasn't, but I took that as a clue that she wouldn't want mittens.

I paid for my card and left the place.