Sunday, January 24, 2010

Which Way You Goin' Billy?

I was listening to the record "Which Way You Goin' Billy?" by The Poppy Family, featuring Susan Jacks.

I heard it a couple times tonight. It's a melancholy favorite.

It always reminds me of something (someone) I wrote about before ("Wonderful Summer" link). That would be the time I, as a teenager, walked with a cute teen girl up the path in the rain. But alas, we were separated by distance and time. I'm not pining after all these years, but the thought is still there.

Anyway, at the time she said her favorite song (or one of her favorite songs) was "Which Way You Goin' Billy." So it's impossible for me to hear that song without thinking of her and that rainy day. If you remember the "Wonderful Summer" article, and of course you don't, LOL, that was the time I collected the Gerber jar full of rain water and took it home.

I'm still curious -- very curious -- if that crazy thing might not still be in my parents' basement. Someday, and this is my vow, I'm going to go down to the basement of my old family home and look for it. What if I find it? That'll be crazy. I might also find a turtle corpse, because I know we brought one back from Missouri and it was crawling around in the basement for quite a while.