Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ripping 45 RPM Records -- Part 2

My American Audio TT Record failed again today, although it could be there's just something wrong with the connection that the little memory card makes in its sheath. I can't diagnose the situation really without having another one to try.

It failed like this. I had it plugged in, I recorded a record, I checked it on the computer and there was nothing there, just a couple of approximately 42K files, not the much bigger files that should've resulted.

Anyway, enough of that. So I went to the extra effort to see if I could plug it into my computer directly. I wasn't overly familiar with the microphone jack controls, and actually hadn't seen them before, so I don't know where they came from all of a sudden. The long story short, I got it all plugged in and it worked. I was recording from the record player directly into the computer. Now I could monitor the recording process ... because I could see it.

I did a handful of records successfully, but haven't had much time to get them worked around. But I know it worked.

If I were going to buy something to do this with again, I would probably try one of the Sony turntables. I haven't checked them out but I usually have pretty good luck with Sony. I don't remember them being available when I bought this system. If they were, then I just missed them.