Monday, March 1, 2010

The Companionship Of A Good Dog

I don't know if there really are bad dogs. I'm sure of course that there are dogs that have been mistreated and so are bad. Or they're sick with some weird condition and they're bad. But whether there are just dogs that are bad just out of choice, that I don't think is the case.

The dog I have is certainly a good one.

I'm well aware of the whole thing where we get attached to them and we project a lot into them and their behavior, etc. But it really does look objectively like they are actually good and do love us. I look at my dog and it's impossible for me to think she doesn't love me. Since she's always around. If she didn't love me, wouldn't she be on the couch somewhere instead of right by my side?

I look at this dog and I'm amazed at the faithfulness, the quality of the companionship that she provides. It makes me want to cherish her in return, no matter what.

We're really on the same page in lots of ways. I've been taking her out without a harness and leash for over a month, since it's winter, there's snow everywhere, and she stays with me. She knows what I want to do based on what I say. I've been telling her to "Wait" when we come to a street crossing, since I don't want her to get run over. And she waits. Then "OK" and she runs across the street. But this wasn't practiced. I just did it and she seemed to get it right away. And there's other things like that.