Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Long Lost Relative Of Sorts

Yesterday, out of the blue, I met a lady who saw my name on a name tag and asked me if I knew the folks in a particular town with that name. I was amazed. "Yes, because that's where I'm from."

It turned out her maiden name was the same as my name and she was from that area. That's all fine. Except I didn't know her branch of the family and she didn't know mine. Even though I figured everyone in that area had heard of my mom and dad, or at least my grandparents. And I'd think that especially with someone of the same family name. On the other hand, I hadn't heard of her either.

But I had heard of her dad's name, so that's at least something.

My mom filled me in on their place in the family tree, going back a while. Back there somewhere we have some common links.

A funny thing about all this is that the genealogical information I found about her on the internet appears to be wrong. The kids seem to be mixed up as far as their married names go. So ... beware of genealogical information you see from the 1700s ... if they can't even get people who are still alive right!