Sunday, March 7, 2010

Live A Little, Love A Little

The Elvis movie I've been watching the last couple days is "Live A Little, Love A Little." I love this film. I've seen it a few times.

It's so peppy. The only downer is how irritated Elvis always seems at the flirtations of Bernice. I gotta say, if I were a single guy and in the same position he was, I wouldn't be so rejecting. She's one great looking lady. But Elvis is sick of Harry Baby in the picture and also that Bernice keeps standing him up or acting weird.

I can't figure out the scene when he goes to the printing company and gets into a big gang fight. To me, I'm either always missing something or it simply doesn't make any sense. He's late for work and they try to kill him? I don't get it.

I'm getting toward the end. Elvis is "Almost In Love" with Bernice. Pretty soon they're going to have a divider in the bed, and finally, as I recall, Elvis gets rid of the divider. Whoa.

This is toward the end of Elvis' film career. Had he gone a few more years, who knows what we might've seen? As for this one, he's in the shower, with Bernice reaching a back washer way down. This also might be the only Elvis movie that has Elvis sitting on the toilet, although he's just sitting there fully dressed (toward the beginning when he's at the beach house.)

The movie has the greatest songs, as far as I'm concerned. But they're few. They're great though, including "Edge of Reality," "A Little Less Conversation," "Almost In Love," and "Wonderful World." The last song there really sets the stage for a breezy movie, with Michele Carey's beautiful performance a real treat throughout.

Some of the other folks are great too. One of "Bewitched's" Darrins plays Harry Baby, Rudy Vallee is in the film (!), Sterling Holloway is in there.

If you love Elvis and you don't have this movie, get it, and Live A Little!