Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Their Native Habitat

I made a rare journey to the local college, the mecca of higher learning.

I tried to fit in as best as I could in the union, watching the students in their native habitat.

I saw several people younger than I -- virtually all of them, except for few old profs (probably) who went by. I don't know that they were profs. They didn't have padded elbows.

The young people made me think: The last time I was in college many of them weren't even born yet. In fact, their parents might've been whooping it up, bringing about that spark of life that exploded into being and brought them into the world.

I sipped my latte and thought wistfully about philosophical things. Were I a professor, I would've caressed my own wispy beard.

I spy an average student in his native habitat. A blow of the pipe and a tranquilizer dart to the thigh will give me a fine specimen for later study.