Monday, March 8, 2010

My Bagel Was Gummy

My dog's unpredictable ways forced me to leave my heated up bagel on the stove for an extra 10 minutes, meaning by the time I got to it it was gummy and tough to chew.

For quite a while -- maybe it was because of the winter darkness -- she stayed in bed and I was able to fix breakfast, eat it, check out the computer, etc., before she appeared, wanting to go outside. Now it's been more like this, that she makes an appearance right when I'm about to grab my food and head for the computer.

The same thing happened today. I didn't hear her footsteps on the stairs, so I thought maybe ... maybe I'd get away with doing it in the order I want. So I heated up the bagel, had it buttered, had some juice, milk, and coffee ready. Then ... on cue, she shows up!

We went outside and dilly dallied longer than usual. She made more near approaches to taking a crap than Apollo missions before they actually set one down. She was creeping around, looking for a place to land. Reminds me of crab walking. I was barely containing myself, feeling annoyed. And once when she was moving closer to some fresh mud I did yell out, "Hey!" I told her come this way, and "Good girl." I have to show that we're on the same page or she'll never go.

I finally got in and now here I sit. The coffee was cooler, the milk warmer, the juice was good, but the bagel was super gummy. Two things, bagels and macaroni and cheese have to be eaten right away or they're not fit to eat.