Friday, April 17, 2009

My Book Sale Day

Ho ho ho! I'm really changing. At least for a while I am. It really happened.

I've been trying to downsize, but it's hard. I got rid of a few boxes of stuff, books mostly. I've always been voracious on accumulating them, and everything else for that matter.

There's an annual book sale near where I live. And guess what, I didn't go when it opens, when the good stuff is there, when the people are clamoring at the door, grabbing and scarfing everything up. I normally like being there early, of course, but I don't like to see people just piling them wholesale into boxes and throwing coats over them. I've had to do it a time or two myself, regrettably.

This year I skipped it. Just let it pass. I knew it was coming. I knew the time was at hand. I felt a slight tug but resisted it. And that was that.

Then today, after everything was picked over by collectors and eBay resellers and all the rest, I went by. It was peaceful and calm. Even in a situation like this, I would normally get a box and fill it, maybe two or three boxes. But today I resisted that as well. I went through and bought ... only one book!

One book. That's never happened before.